(updated January 2021)
Being Green at Millbrook Estate
We hope you enjoy visiting North Devon as much as we enjoy living here. Much of what makes this place special is the history and the unspoilt beauty of its natural landscape, we are trying to look after it for ever and keep it beautiful by protecting the nature, conserving energy and water and minimising waste by recycling and composting as much as possible. We ask guests at Millbrook to help with this as much as possible.
Millbrook Cottages are committed to sustaining our natural surroundings by reducing our environmental impact and promoting good practices through:
- Training employees within their working practices, ensuring reduced impact in all areas.
- Educating guests in the sound understanding of environmental impact and reduction.
- Complying with relevant environmental legislation and implementing systems and procedures to assure compliance.
- Monitoring our environmental action plan at the quarterly Health & Safety meetings.
- Being consistently aware of areas for improvement and improving e.g. asking people not to leave things on standby
Key areas for continuous improvement
- Reduce our energy consumption by increased energy efficiency
- Reduce our water consumption by improving water usage and waste
- Create less waste by the use of waste reduction and recycling
- Continue with our tree planting and land management plan to offset your holiday in Devon
- When required always replacing electric products with AAA rated appliances
EV Tesla charging point for Type 2 cars (Nissan Leaf, BMW I3 and more)
In 2017 we gained Gold for Sustainable Tourism in the Devon Tourism Awards & We won the Enjoyed in Devon award from Debi (Devon Environmental Business Initiative). We have also been shortlisted for South West Tourism Awards and Visit England Awards to find out later in 2018.
With out our GREEN TEAM we wouldnt have done any of this! Our Green Team consists of Kate and Bob, Linda, Lisa, Collette and Jemma and we sit down monthly to discuss how we can make Millbrook green and get staff to work efficiently.
You might wondered why as we are a Green Tourism destination we don't offer a carbon offset scheme. We believe that by the 9000 trees we planted at Millbrook and or ongoing planting schemes that we cover this. We are not able to use this as an official offsetting scheme as the government use any trees planted in the UK towards there own carbon offset (by use of satellite pictures). We think this is not fair and we do not understand why we have to plant trees out of the UK! Just to let you know!
We have use a eco company company called Krystal
for our hosting requirements. Krystal are a UK company and have a very good Eco Policy too!